Production & Warehouse Manager
Reports to: Head Winemaker
Located at: The Winery, Hattingley Valley, Wield Yard, Lower Wield, Alresford, SO24 9AJ
Hattingley Valley has been producing award-winning sparkling wine since 2010, having planted its first vineyard in 2008. The heart of the wine comes from our 11ha of vineyards here in Hampshire where we carefully manage two distinct vineyard sites. Growing the classic sparkling varieties of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier we also have small parcels of Bacchus and Pinot Gris. In addition to this we take in grapes from across the UK for both our own production and on behalf of contract winemaking clients. Wines coming out of the Hattingley Valley stable have won more Gold Medals than any other winery in the UK.
The business has grown exponentially since its inception and we are now one of the largest wineries in the UK as well as being the most significant exporter of English wine to the rest of the world.
A rare opportunity to join one of England’s leading sparkling wine producers.
We are looking for a Production & Warehouse Manager to take us to the next level of efficiency, productivity and quality in the storage, riddling, disgorging, labelling and packaging part of the process.
Reporting to the Head Winemaker, the right candidate will have a proven track record in setting up and running production lines. They should also show a willingness to learn about quality sparkling winemaking along with a desire to streamline the process and improve efficiency. Ensuring quality is maintained whilst meeting health and safety regulation is vital.
Working with the Head Winemaker and Operations Winemaker the Production Manager will be planning, running and supervising the daily operations in the warehouse and production cellar for both Hattingley wines and those of our clients. This will include maintenance of the machines, organisation of the riddling and disgorging schedules, labelling and packaging of finished goods for Hattingley Valley and our clients. All with a focus on quality management, safety and efficiency. It requires careful maintenance and monitoring of both wine stock and dry goods for numerous product lines.
The most technical part of the sparkling winemaking process, utilising semi-automated lines imported from the Champagne region of France, we understand there will be a need for training and time to get the right candidate comfortable with the disgorging process. We feel it is more important to recruit for attitude and aptitude, offering on the job training for the specialist aspects. This is an ideal role for a proven production manager from within the food and beverage industry, who understands production lines and wants to get involved with the burgeoning domestic wine production industry.
- A proven and keen enthusiasm for process management
- A practical aptitude for problem solving and attention to detail is essential
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, in particular basic Excel spreadsheets, also willing to learn to use our specialist winery software
- Numerate and literate – confident in ability to make vital calculations and draft effective emails to clients and other staff
- Mechanically minded and able to run day to day maintenance on production lines
- Ability to work under pressure at times
- A flexible approach to both working hours and duties during critical times such as harvest and bottling is essential
- Confidence on a forklift is essential and having or obtaining a licence is a pre-requisite – telehandler licence an advantage
- Ability to manage and inspire your team
- Confidence and communication skills to liaise with winemaking contract clients and our own sales team regarding dry goods stock, work requests, schedules and expectations
- Preparedness to interact with consumers and trade visitors at tours and events, on occasion
- Must be able to lift 25kgs
- Must be able to stand for long periods and climb ladders
- Driving licence and own transport essential due to rural location
T: +44 (0)1256 389188 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.hattingleyvalley.co.uk Registered in England No. 07311421
Please send your application by midnight on Sunday 20th September to the Head Winemaker, Emma Rice:email@example.com or alternatively post to: Hattingley Valley Wines Ltd, Wield Yard, Lower Wield, Alresford, SO24 9AJ