The festive season is well and truly upon us, which means it is time to embrace all things Christmas! And we had a particular (fizz-based) idea in mind to get the festivities going…
Picture the scene, where cosy fires and twinkling lights cast a warm glow and sparkling sequins swish to the sounds of merriment and clinking glasses. Sound enticing? This festive season join us as we dive into the art of festive cocktail-making with the head bartender at the renowned Sea Containers Restaurant London.
Sea Containers: The perfect venue to celebrate festivities this Christmas in London
The remarkable riverside restaurant, Sea Containers in the South Bank Hotel London, is the ideal spot for a festive cocktail. With a design reminiscent of a 1920s transatlantic cruise liner, this glamorous setting is a truly special destination to visit this Christmas. Share in the joy of our exclusive Christmas cocktail at the restaurant from the 18th to the 25th of December or enjoy a glass on arrival for your Christmas Day meal. Or, if you would prefer to enjoy your festivities a little closer to home, continue reading for the recipe and try it for yourself!
Our English Sparkling wine cocktail with Sea Containers; Sea Co Mulled Hattingley Valley Fizz
Malcolm Jones, head bartender at Sea Containers Restaurant is the mastermind behind our exclusive Christmas Cocktail the Sea Co Mulled Fizz. Based on your favourite Christmas drink, mulled wine, Malcolm created a delicious Mulled Wine reduction to accompany our core classic English Sparkling Wine, Classic Reserve NV. With aromatic notes of orange peel and zesty citrus on the nose, and ripe orchard fruits with a hint of nuts on the palate, we think you’ll agree that our Classic Reserve is the perfect compliment to this Christmas Cocktail (and rather luxurious too!). But, before we get carried away let us share with you the magic behind the Sea Co Mulled Fizz.
Christmas Cocktail Making at Home this festive season
To make this delightfully English, Mulled Sea Co Fizz at home, you’ll need:
- Your choice of red wine (1 bottle - we’d recommend a dry and full-bodied red, like Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, or Syrah).
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 tsp of grated nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 oz fresh sliced ginger
- 1 orange (zested and juiced)
- 100ml Hattingley Valley Classic Reserve (for the sparkle) or for something a little different try our Bacchus and Pinot Gris blend, The English Gent
- Red Currants (to garnish)
- Edible gold lustre (for that added luxury)
To Make the Reduction:
- Gently heat a pan of red wine
- Once warmed through add your spices: anise, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla extract, and black pepper (for a subtle lift)
- Add your fresh ginger, juiced orange and orange zest
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil
- Once boiled, reduce the temperature to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by a third
- Strain your mixture and allow it to cool
- Chill before use
- Your reduction can stay in the fridge for 2 weeks
To Make Your Cocktail:
- Pour 100ml of chilled Hattingley Valley Classic Reserve (or The English Gent) into a glass (we think our Hattingley Flutes are rather nice!)
- Add 50 ml of your mulled wine reduction and stir
- Add red currants to garnish
- And perhaps a little edible gold lustre (if you are feeling fancy!)
- Finally enjoy - you just made yourself a delicious Mulled Sea Co Fizz with Hattingley Valley Classic Reserve!
Raise a glass to the Season with Hattingley Valley
There you have it, the perfect English Fizz cocktail to toast to the joys of the season. Head to Sea Containers for a taste, or bring the magic home by trying the recipe for yourself! And if you do, don’t forget to share your festive cocktail experiences on Instagram @hattingleywines and @seacontainersldn. Let's make this festive season sparkle with English sparkling wine and delightful celebrations.
Looking for the perfect gift for a wine lover? Check out the Hattingley Valley Ultimate Wine Gift Guide with our Top 5 Gifts for Wine lovers this Christmas.